Our history

1921 till today

The history of our troop dates back to July 1921.Aweiung Blockhaus

As a few young craftsmen and workers came together. The first Boy Scouts section in Echternach was founded.

Under the leadership of Father Daubachand Mr. Bern Kieffer as the first Scout leaders, the troop counted 20 membersShortly after, in August 1921, the young troop organized its very first summer camp.

Ten years after, in August 1931the first clubhouse was inaugurated with great ceremonyThis log cabinlocated between Echternach and Weilerbach, was known to be the most beautiful in the area.

The log cabin in Weilerbach

Howeverthe troop did not use this house for long. In 1940, Mayor Christian Stock, during the German occupationordered the dismantling and transportation of the log cabin. After the warthe troop struggled. Various locations were used for meetings, but building a new log cabin was out of question at that time.

In November 1945the Troupe St. Willibrord published its very first troop newspaper. 150 copies were printed, 50 were sold at tle local „Burg bookstore.

In 1952, a group of Senior scouts formed an “Amicale des Anciens Scouts L.S.” under the name “Les Vieux Trappeurs,” with the goal of raising enough funds to provide an new meeting place.

In 1957the scouts moved to the Passage des demoiselles.

Camp 1957 in Lellingen

In 1966the time had finally come. On the initiative of the president, Mr. Jérôme de Jong, and Father Waldbillig, the Troupe St. Willibrord obtained its own chalet.

The old CFL shed in Beaufort should be  rebuilt. To make this project a realitythe “Comité Protecteur de la Troupe St. Willibrord” was founded.

Inauguration of the Chalet De Jong – Beaufort 1968

In 1978the Troupe St. Willibrordtogether with the Protection Civilerevived an old tradition in Echternach: the first “Buergbrennen” (bonfire) was organized!

Over the yearsthere have been many exciting activitiesincluding national and international campsfestivalsand theater perfo mances.

Summer camp 1988 Bordeaux

In 1989the troop supported  the MBORO development project in Senegal. Five leaders from Echternach joined  122 others scouts from Luxembourg in Senegal.

At the end of July 1991, 11 explorers and leaders attended the famous Jamborette camp for the first time, an international summer camp near Haarlem (NL).

In 1992the troop was going through a sad time. Mr. Philippe Buijs (spiritual leader and CaraPio leaderpassed away.

On July 5, 1992the large Wëllefcher rally took place in Echternach, with 1,200 children participating.

National Wolf Cub Rally Echternach 1992

In 1996under the leadership of Carlo Gillen, the Troupe St. Willibrord celebrated its 75th anniversaryTo mark this eventthe association organized an exhibition at Hihof, an open dayand a rally around the lake of Echternach.

In 2005the first bonfire called „Buergbrennen“ on the Fisherman’s Island by the lake was lit.

2005 was also the year of the Biber“! Due to the high demand, Simone Modert and Josée Schilling launched this new branchallowing the troop to take care of children from the second school cycle (Cycle 2) onwards. Naturally, this new branch needed a meeting placeThe „Biber“ finally got their spot in 2006 in the newly renovated Grommes Houseclose to the lake of Echternach.

In 2007the Troupe St. Willibrordthe Escher Juppen, KiemÄischand Steinfort troopsorganized a large camp in the legendary Gilwell Park near Chingford, London. Around 75 boys and girls were able to pitch their tents not far from B.P.’s “White House.”

In 2011the press took an interest in our Vizfest with a hobby marketHere’s a short report.

In 2015the AvEx and CaraPio went together to the JuJuCa Camporganized by the Escher Juppen in Kandersteg (KISC) Switzerland.

In 2017the entire troopwith all its sections, took part at the large international GoUrbanCamp, with nearly 3,500 guides and scouts from all around the world.

TODAYwe want to say a big T.H.A.N.K. Y.O.U. to all the people who foundedsupportedand passionately maintained our troop.